Pages

Thursday 12 February 2009

Elizabeth Longhurst - Sampler



Well I opened the post a few days ago and was delighted to have received this beautifully embroidered and designed "sampler" from Elizabeth Longhurst who is one of the members of the New Embroidery Group. I particularly like the mirrored DJ faces linking into the idea of repetition. At first they aren't instantly recognisable, but the closer you study the piece their forms start to appear. Also, Liz's choice of stitches and colour on the open weave linen. I'll have to get Liz to tell me/you which stitches she's used, as my knowledge still isn't that great.

At the start of the project I invited the embroiderers to design and embroider a logo symbolising the connection between the two worlds of dj-ing and embroidery cultures. Sadly, due to work commitments Liz hasn't been able to take part in any of the workshops so far, so it means a huge amount to me that she has been working away on this piece in her spare time. I continue to be amazed at the kindness and generosity of everyone involved in the project.

I'm looking forward to exhibiting Liz's sampled contribution as the project develops.

You can see more of Liz's work on the New Embroidery Group link in the collaborators section of my blog.

No comments: